Monday, January 3, 2011

Let Go of Self-Disapproval!


Last year there was so much talk about the economical crisis, it's only natural to look at our own financial state with despair and fear. This new year, change the old recording. 
 Perhaps we are telling ourselves "I should have not invested in stocks." "I should have saved more money." "I don't make enough money." "I didn't get enough education." "I threw away too much money," or "I charged to much." 
Whether we realize it or not, this type of self-talk is disapproving not only of our financial status, but of ourselves.
Disapproving of self keeps us from loving ourselves.  It's like trying to put fresh, clean water (love) into a cup (you), already filled with muddy water (toxins from disapproving of self).
Now, more than ever, we need to be supportive of ourselves.  Love is the only power that stands up against fear.  "Fear and Love cannot occupy the same place."  In spiritual practices, this is why God is called Love.
We can't depend on others to give us this love, because quite frankly, they're looking for that support and love too.  Even in the closest relationships if another person gives you love, and you are not open to loving yourself, you will still feel unloved.
Here are several ways to stop disapproving of yourself:
Be mindful of your thoughts. 
Many of us aren't aware we are disapproving of ourselves.  Our immediate reaction, is "Yes, I love myself."  However,  if you tune into your thoughts and what you are telling yourself, you'll quickly learn otherwise.  It's shocking to see that we're not only  disapproving of ourselves, but we are using self violence as well.  We beat ourselves up constantly with degrading thoughts.    
What are you saying to yourself?
  • I didn't do ____"  "That was so stupid of me." "Why did I say that?"  "I don't know what's wrong with me."  "I'm getting old."  "I'm too young to get respect." "I'm fat." "Why didn't I do _____"       "
Record Your Thoughts for One Day
Write down what you are saying to yourself.  You'll find the same thoughts keep coming up over and over again.  Being Mindful,  is like turning on a light in our heads.  We don't have to do anything, just be aware.  Mindfulness is a laser dissolving negative thoughts which unwatched, become feelings and emotions. 

However, just by being aware of thoughts, change the old patterns.  When you change your thoughts, your world changes.  
Have a healthy and happy New Year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment